GM diesels star on charters

071 Class locos in demand for railtours and land cruises.

A SERIES of three return trips between Dublin Connolly and Howth ran on May 28
to celebrate the 170th anniversary of the arrival of the railway at the present terminus at Howth in May 1847.

Amongst various stock moves associated with the annual ‘Emerald Isle Explorer’ luxury charter on June 15-21, was one on June 20, from the RPSI’s base at Whitehead (County Antrim) to Dublin Connolly, hauled by NIR GM No. 112. The loco then returned light engine to Belfast York Road, and is pictured on this move crossing the River Nanny at Laytown (County Meath). Andrew Burton

Steam traction in the shape of Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) locomotives Nos. 85 and 461 were each used for the Connolly to Howth legs (two trips and one trip respectively). Diesel traction was planned for each of the returns from Howth, and Irish Rail GM No. 088 was employed on the duty throughout the day. The consist was six Cravens coaches and ‘BR’ van No. 3173.

Annual land cruise

June 15-21 saw the running of the third annual ‘Emerald Isle Explorer’ railtour. Organised by Steam Dreams and featuring RPSI locomotives and stock, the six-day tour also saw the planned use of IR and Northern Ireland Railways diesel traction. As in previous years, the Cravens passenger stock was upgraded internally to give the impression of First Class accommodation.

Read more in the August issue of RE – on sale now!

Comments

comments