More than 200 railway workers are giving up their Christmases to carry out major work to upgrade the track layout at Leeds station, bringing more reliable journeys for passengers.
Over 10 days (25 December – 3 January), Network Rail teams will lift, replace and completely remodel the track between platforms 4 and 6. This will improve the way trains move in and out of Leeds station, reducing disruption.
Work will also take place to install new overhead wires – which power some trains – and upgrade the signalling equipment to make sure trains can continue running safely and on time.
- Widespread train cancellations as pandemic causes staff shortages
- Passengers reminded to plan ahead as majority of railway open for business as usual this Christmas
Passengers are advised to check their journey via National Rail Enquiries or with their train operator and allow plenty of time.
Alexandra Bergerman, Assistant Construction Manager for Network Rail, who joined the company in July 2020, said: “I’ll be on-site on Christmas day helping to keep this project on track, keep our teams safe, and improve the experience for passengers at Leeds station. Although I’ll miss spending the festive season with my family, I’m excited to see all of our months of planning come together.
“Christmas is a time when we typically see fewer people travelling by train, so it’s a good opportunity for us to carry out major work without too many changes for passengers. For those who do need to travel, please plan ahead and check before travelling.”
Due to the complexity of the project, there will be changes for passengers from 27 December to 3 January.
- Saturday 25 December – Sunday 26 December 2021: Major progress will be made when no trains are timetabled to run on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
- Monday 27 December 2021 – Saturday 01 January 2022: A reduced train service will run in and out of Leeds station. Some bus replacements will be in place.
- Sunday 2 January 2022: Very limited train services will run to and from Leeds. Bus replacements will be in place for passengers.
- Monday 3 January 2022: A reduced train service will run in and out of Leeds station. Some bus replacements will be in place.
A spokesperson for train operators at Leeds station, said: “We advise passengers who plan to travel over the Christmas period to check their journey in advance – with their train operator or via National Rail Enquiries – and allow plenty of time.
“These vital improvements at Leeds station will bring more reliable journeys for our passengers and help to reduce the impact of any future disruption across the region.”
Minor follow-up work will take place on 30 January 2022, which will mean some changes to services to and from Leeds station.
There will also be limited spaces available in the multi-storey car park from 17 December 2021 until 8 January 2022. During this time, accessible parking spaces will still be available. People are advised to use alternative car parks in the area whilst this work is carried out.Enjoy more Rail Express reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.