This week’s roundup of news from the UK railway industry.
World famous Flying Scotsman back in action in 2022
Scheduled for April and lasting between three and four months, the overhaul and recertification will ensure Flying Scotsman is able to take part in national celebrations to mark the engine’s centenary in 2023.
Enjoy more Rail Express Magazine reading every month.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Train passengers braced for largest spike in fares since 2013
Train passengers in England and Wales will be hit with the largest fare rises in nearly a decade from Tuesday.
Strike paralyses Tube network
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union said its members were “solidly supporting” the industrial action, which was causing travel chaos across the capital.
Tube disruption continues after strike
London Underground services continued to be disrupted on Wednesday after a strike by thousands of workers crippled the Tube on Tuesday.
Chaos for London commuters as Tube workers strike again
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) walked out for 24 hours in a deadlocked dispute over jobs, pensions and conditions, which led to most services being suspended for the second time this week.
Latest Service Updates
Gatwick Express – Gatwick Express services remain suspended until further notice.
Hull Trains – Hull Trains are currently running a reduced service, in line with passenger demand and current government advice.
If you need to travel this weekend, here are planned works that may affect your journey.
- RMT STRIKE ACTION: There is planned strike action every Friday and Saturday night between 2030 and 0429 the following morning until Sunday 19 June.
Our transport network has never been cleaner. Imperial College London run monthly tests for coronavirus on the transport network and found no trace. You can read their recently published report.
Air continuously flows through all our trains, trams and buses. For example, on average, air in a Tube train changes every few minutes. Buses are fitted with air extraction and ventilation systems and we also leave windows open throughout the passenger area to keep a flow of fresh air.
Please continue to walk or cycle part of your journey where possible. If using public transport, travel during quieter times if you can. This will make social distancing easier. The quieter times to travel are:
- Between 08:15 and 16:00 and after 17:30 on weekdays
- Before noon and after 18:00 on weekends
Our TfL Go app can help you plan your journey and show the quieter times to travel.
You must continue to wear a face-covering over your nose and mouth at all times when on the transport network, unless exempt. The overwhelming majority of people are complying with this requirement, and the British Transport Police, the Metropolitan Police and our own officers are on the network to check compliance. Fines of up to £6,400 exist for anyone who does not comply.
Please also wash or sanitise your hands before and after travel.
- DLR: Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 March, no service between Stratford International and Woolwich Arsenal. Use Jubilee line connections between Stratford and Canning Town, or local buses.
- NORTHERN LINE: From Saturday 15 January until mid May 2022, no service between Moorgate and Kennington due to major upgrade works.
- TFL RAIL: Sunday 6 March, a reduced frequency, four trains an hour, operates all day between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington.
- Saturday 5 March, no service between Surrey Quays and New Cross, please use New Cross Gate station instead.
- Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 March, no service between Highbury & Islington and Dalston Junction. Replacement buses operate.
- Saturday 5 March, no service between Camden Road and Stratford. Replacement buses operate.
- Sunday 6 March, no service between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction. Replacement buses operate between Canada Water and Clapham Junction.
- Sunday 6 March, until 1015, no service between Liverpool Street and Chingford.
- Sunday 6 March, until 1015, no service between Liverpool Street and Enfield Town / Cheshunt.
- Sunday 6 March, no service between Gospel Oak and Stratford. Replacement buses operate between Hampstead Heath and Stratford.
Check before you travel and plan your journey ahead of time.Enjoy more Rail Express reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.