Two unidentified District Railway locos double-head a through train from Ealing to Southend at East Ham in the 1930s. The coaches are corridor bogie types introduced by the LT&SR in 1912, which replaced a motley collection of older vehicles. The headboard reads ‘Southend Corridor Express’. DC Collection
A fleet of 10 bogie electric locos was built for the District Railway to haul other companies’ through trains, first those of the London & North Western Railway and then the London Tilbury & Southend Railway.
IN the early 20th century, plans were drawn up to electrify the tracks that today form London Underground’s Circle Line, and thus eliminate steam operation from the sub-surface lines.
For its part, the District Railway ordered a batch of 10 bogie locomotives that looked similar to its ‘B’ Stock multiple units.
Read more in June’s edition of REEnjoy more Rail Express reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.