EIGHT wooden framed carriages owned by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) were transferred from their long-term storage location in the open at Inchicore to the former valeting shed at Heuston station on December 3.
The vehicles, which had suffered graffiti and weather damage, were hauled empty in two batches to their new accommodation by GM No. 072. The first train consisted of Nos. 1383, 2421, 1419 and 1463 while the second was formed of Nos. 1335, 88, 1949 and 1916. The first train ran directly into the shed, but the second ran via platform 5 to enable the carriages to be positioned and to release No. 072.
■ The turntable that was formerly at Belfast Central Service Depot (closed 1994) has been installed at the Whitehead base of the RPSI. This base, which has undergone a significant expansion to its maintenance and storage facilities, has recently taken delivery from Irish Rail of ex-CIE well-wagon No. 23062.
The up starter (somersault) signal recovered from Castlerock (see last month) has also been procured. The Downpatrick and County Down Railway has taken delivery of items of signalling equipment from the same source.
Read more News in February’s issue of RE – out now!Enjoy more Rail Express reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.